The days are heating up and although the hottest days of the summer unusually fall in the last two weeks of July and the first two weeks of August (known as the “dog days.”) we can see pretty warm temperatures any time. Being prepared to beat the heat is a smart thing to do.
Here are some tips to help you enjoy the warmer days safely:
1. Try to stay indoors between 10am and 4pm, when the sun is the hottest.
2. If you must go outside, stay hydrated bringing a bottle water with you. I like to stick the bottle in the refrigerator, better yet the freezer, to assure the water is cold.
3. Take care not to over exert yourself, because this will make you overheated. A hot day is NOT the time to run a marathon or do vigorous exercise! If you must do it, them be sure to follow the other advice in this post.
4. Cool yourself quickly by wetting pulse points (wrists, neck, etc) with cold water or wrapping some ice in a towel and placing it on your wrists. When your wrists are cool, your core body temperature will lower, creating a cooling effect on your whole body.
5. Wearing light colored, natural fabrics, such as cotton or linen, will help keep you cool and comfortable. Shorts or a skirt are my favorite summer attire.
6. When all else fails, lay low and chill out in an air conditioned room or in front of a fan! If you put a bowl of ice in front of the fan so it blows over it, you’ll create a cool breeze. 😀